Keeping your space protected during the holidays
Holidays are the most anticipated time of the year. People make plans for going on vacations and office staff looks forward to a relaxing time spent with friends and families. However while holidays bring much excitement, it also brings the fear of a fire hazard for both business and homeowners. More often than not a fire is started in an empty space either due to a short circuit or an accidental incident in a nearby area.
The following tips from fire protection services in Sydney would help reduce incidences of a fire hazard. When going for vacations or holidays make sure of the following.
Switch off all electrical appliances
When you plan to go on a holiday for an extended period of time, it’s advisable to turn off all electrical appliances. Also make sure you check out the wiring for any sort of frays or kinks. All bare spots must be seen to immediately. For commercial work spaces if you want to keep the sign boards working just make sure to use LED lights. These lights don’t heat up that fast and you can even set a timer for them. This means they are automatically switched off during the day.
Also make sure to check out each and every space in the room if heaters or air conditioners have been switched off. Often space heaters left switched on become a cause of a fire hazard.
Prevent pipes from leakages
Leakages may cause a pipe to burst and water to keep on leaking. In case a fire occurs your sprinkler system might not work at all due to burst pipes. This can led the fire to spread quickly and there would be very little that could be done to save your property. Before going on a vacation, make sure to check whether all plumbing is in working order.
Is all fire protection system in working order
Another thing to be kept in mind is to ensure that all fire extinguishing equipment is in working order. This means the sprinkler system should work if any traces of smoke are detected and fire alarm systems should work so that a timely signal can be sent to fire protection services in Sydney. You can ask the local fire protection services company to come and check whether all equipment is in working order or not. You may be charged a nominal fee. These regular periodic inspections can be pretty useful and can be done for a nominal fee only.
Make sure you have an innovative fire protection system
If you haven’t had a fire protection system installed, it’s always wise to have one installed before closing down for the holidays. It’s essential for all homes and offices to be safe from any sort of fire hazard and this is only possible if a fire extinguishing system is installed in the residential or commercial building. If you haven’t already fire proofed your home or office, it’s high time you do so.
For more information on fire protection services in Sydney, make sure you contact a professional service company.
It has become common that most homeowners develop serious personal injuries while doing simple weekend yard work simply because of failure of wearing safety garments and other safety equipment. They may have the tools but they don’t know how and when to use them. When it comes to preparedness for any fire outbreak, you should be well prepared with the fire safety equipment.
Fire safety simply refers to precautions that you should take so as to prevent or minimize the likelihood of fire which leads to death, injuries and damage the property if not well controlled. Fire safety measures always include the one that is planned when the building was being constructed or the already standing implemented structures and also the training that has been conducted to the residents of the building.
Any threat to fire safety is known as fire hazard which may include situations that increase the likelihood of an outbreak of fire and hinders you from escaping from the fire. That’s why you need to have firefighting equipment in place.
Examples of Fire Fighting Equipment
Safety against fire is one of the most crucial things to observe either in business or at home. You can ensure you have fire safety equipment in your Queensland business by having the right firefighting equipment which ensures maximum protection against fire and also the lives of firefighters. Some of this equipment includes:
- Fire extinguisher – Every business premises or any establishment whether small or large must need this equipment.
- Fire alarms – so as to have an ultimate proof fire protection system this should be your foremost equipment.
- Firefighting blankets – these really help in preventing the fire from spreading by cutting off the oxygen supply which results in reducing or fully putting off the fire.
- Fire sprinklers – this works hand in hand with fire alarms. The moment fire alarm is on, the fire sprinklers start raining water with pressure and force. They are effective in extinguishing the fire.
- Fire hose – major fires requires a huge amount of water propelled in high pressures and the fire hose is there to help you in this. Every building should be having this pipe.
- Firefighting truck – this refers to a vehicle that is usually customized to fight the fire. Most municipalities have these trucks to extinguish any fire around.
- Fire detectors/ smoke, fire, and carbon dioxide detectors – they are automatically designed to detect any unwanted availability of fire by monitoring the surrounding environment changes in line with combustion.
- Fire buckets – this bucket is either filled with water or sand and is effective in preventing and extinguishing minor fires.
- Fire escape ladders – they are effective if your premises or home has a number of stairs
In addition to this firefighting equipment, we have some safety wears or garments worn by firefighters. Let’s explore some.
Fire Safety Wears
- Dust mask and respirators – they prevent your lungs from taking in harmful chemicals and other air pollutants/contaminants. Dusk masks simply are designed to help stop dust, dirt, and debris from entering into your nose and mouth. Respirators cleanse the air from dust particles before breathing it in.
- Gloves – these are easy to find and they include rubber, latex, electrical insulated, chemical resistant, heat resistant etc. they protect your hands and arms
- Ear plugs/head phones – unexpected high sound may destroy your ear that’s why you need to have hearing protection plans in your premises.
- Hard boots and hard hat with face shield